Thursday, April 11, 2013

Why oh why Thursday - WOWT

A day late... I know I know... but I have a dern good reason.

These guys (actually girls) visited my office and my boss so kindly threw me under the bus to be the guinea pig.
Bob Slydell: You see, what we're actually trying to do here is, we're just, we're trying to get a feel for how people spend their day at work. So, if you would, would you walk us through a typical day for you?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah.
Bob Slydell: Great.
Peter Gibbons: Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late. Uh, I use the side door, that way Lumbergh can't see me. And, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour.
Bob Porter: Da-uh? Space out?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah, I just stare at my desk but it looks like I'm working. I do that for uh, probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.*

We had auditors come in this week to learn what it is our office does. 

Yes, corporate enjoys the contribution our office is responsible for, yet, no one really knows what it is we do or how we do it.  So these nice ladies came out to figure that out. 

I have trained quite a few people in my day.  However, with someone who doesn't know our business, you start out with broad topics and vague ideas to get them into it.  But in an audit, their favorite word was, why?  I know it's their job to figure out my process, but it's never a step 1, 2, 3 process.  I can do this first and switch steps 2 and 4 if this happens, and step three really isn't necessary and you don't do it if it's in New Mexico.  Explaining this to someone who has no idea what you're talking about is tiresome.  Then I do it so often, I've forgotten half the steps, so I am half ass explaining things because I honestly forgot I did it. 

And that's why this WOWT is late. 

Why Oh Why does the world have professional auditors.  Just ask the admins and the analyst what the best business practice is and we will happily tell you what we think is asinine and how we would work it if we were boss. 

*Disclaimer - for any current or future employers, this is simply a movie script and not the opinions or actions of this blogger :)

2 comments: